Saturday, January 31, 2009

Something New

So today something happened that I've wanted for a few years now.

I got contacts.

Ever since I first had to get glasses I wanted contacts. I had to get glasses when I was 14 which is a time when appearance matters. I had gone for 14 years without having to wear glasses, the thought of wearing them made me cringe. I had perfect vision for 12 years. Neither of my parents wear glasses.

My eyes were damaged when I was sick. The pressure behind my eyes caused the damage. Even with glasses or contacts I don't have perfect vision, but at least I can read things that are a distance away from me.

Wearing the contacts makes me feel like my old self in a way. Before I was sick and I could see clearly without help. Every time I put on glasses, it reminds me of when I was sick. It's a constant reminder of the permnant effect of that illness.

But now I can see without having something on my face. That makes me happy. When I drive I can actually wear sunglasses. That's good because I hate driving and having the sun in my eyes without something shielding my eyes. (The visor doesn't really work for me because I'm kinda short....).

Yesterday I finished my column. I put my picture on it and everything. It looks great. The issue is supposed to come out Feb. 13, we'll see if that actually happens though. This year's staff is not very good at hitting deadlines and getting the newspaper to the printer on time. So we'll see what happens. I'll let you know when it comes out.

Peace out,
Jay~Jay